Wednesday, April 11, 2012

French Toast

French toast is not my first choice of breakfast foods, but my boyfriend really wanted to make it one night so I agreed. It turned out better than I expected and tasted a lot better than I remembered (the last time I'd had French toast was about 12 years ago). I'm not a huge fan of cinnamon, but when it's all mixed together and smothered with syrup you can barely even tell. I've become a fan of French toast now, so if you're like me and haven't had it since you were a kid, I suggest it's about time to try making some for yourself and giving it another chance. 
Sorry about the photo - it was taken before I got everyone's feedback.
Also, sorry my boyfriend took a bite out of it before I got to take the picture,
he was really excited about his French toast!
Ingredients
4 slices of bread (we used white bread)
2 eggs
Cinnamon
Syrup
Egg Whites (or just regular eggs if you prefer)
Hot sauce (or anything else you'd want on your eggs)


Here's how it's done:
• Crack the two eggs into a bowl and mix as if you were going to make scrambled eggs. Add some cinnamon into the bowl as well. (The amount really depends on how much you like cinnamon, but you shouldn't put in more than 3 tablespoons)
• Heat up a pan over a medium sized flame, put a little bit of butter in the pan or spray it with Pam. 
• Dip the bread into the egg and cinnamon mixture, making sure the bread is completely coated on both sides.
• Put one of the egg coated pieces of bread into the pan (two if your pan is large enough) and let it cook for a minute or two. Lift it up with a spatula to check the bottom before flipping and cooking the other side for about the same amount of time. You want to cook it long enough so that it is browned a little, but not too long or else it will dry out.


Meanwhile:
• If you're using regular eggs you'll have to crack them into a bowl and scramble them first, but if you're using prepackaged egg whites you can just pour those into your pan.
• Heat up a pan over a medium sized flame, put a little bit of butter in the pan or spray it with Pam.
• Add your eggs to the pan and mix around continuously until they become little fluffy balls of egg. Make sure there is no liquid left before turning off the flame and removing your eggs!
• Add some hot sauce, ketchup, salt, pepper, or whatever else you can top eggs with!


Now cover your french toast in syrup - or if you're feeling adventurous you can try topping it with the strawberry syrup sauce I posted a few weeks ago - and enjoy :)

No comments:

Post a Comment